For as long as I can remember, my mom always enrolled my sister and I in swimming lessons. I remember going to the swim park off of Harlan St. week after week.....summer after summer and on the weekends our entire family would go for "Family Swim Day". Those were some of my fondest family memories. As I sit here and write this, I can see my mom in her brown swim suit with the skit, my sister in a black swimsuit with a rainbow and my dad wearing yellow swim trunks. Me...I had a yellow swimsuit with pink flowers that I wore with pink flip flops. I still remember my last "Dolphin" class....the last year of swim lessons for me. I had to jump off the high dive....the really HIGH....way off the ground....I was afraid I was going to die....high dive. I can still see my mom, dad and sister standing below cheering me on...."You can do it "Kutty", my mom would shout. My mom taught me never to fear anything....to be strong and face every obstacle. At the same time, she never pushed or judged....she just loved and gently proded. So, I am doing the same for my son Dylan....teaching him to face fear of the unknown....in this case the unknown "feeling" of a back float.



0 comments:
Post a Comment